Environmental drivers of the occurrence and abundance of the Irukandji jellyfish (Carukia barnesi)

Rowley, Olivia C., Courtney, Robert, Northfield, Tobin, and Seymour, Jamie (2022) Environmental drivers of the occurrence and abundance of the Irukandji jellyfish (Carukia barnesi). PLoS ONE, 17 (8). e0272359.

PDF (Published Version) - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

Download (2MB) | Preview
View at Publisher Website: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.027...


Understanding the links between species and their environment is critical for species management. This is particularly true for organisms of medical and/or economic significance. The 'Irukandji' jellyfish (Carukia barnesi) is well known for its small size, cryptic nature, and highly venomous sting. Being the namesake of the Irukandji syndrome, contact with this marine stinger often leads to hospitalization and can be fatal. Consequently, the annual occurrence of this organism is believed to cost the Australian government an estimated $AUD3 billion annually in medical costs and losses for tourism. Despite its economic importance the logistical difficulties related to surveying C. barnesi in situ has led to a paucity of knowledge regarding its ecology and significantly impeded management strategies to date. In this study, we use six years of direct C. barnesicapture data to explore patterns pertaining to the annual occurrence and abundance of this species in the nearshore waters of the Cairns coast. We provide novel insights into trends in medusae aggregations and size distribution and primarily focus on the potential role of environmental drivers for annual C. barnesi occurrence patterns. Using a two-part hurdle model, eight environmental parameters were investigated over four time periods for associations with records of medusa presence and abundance. Final models showed a small amount of variation in medusa presence and abundance patterns could be accounted for by long-term trends pertaining to rainfall and wind direction. However, the assessed environmental parameters could not explain high annual variation or site location effects. Ultimately best-fit models had very low statistical inference power explaining between 16 and 20% of the variance in the data, leaving approximately 80% of all variation in medusa presence and abundance unexplained.

Item ID: 76088
Item Type: Article (Research - C1)
ISSN: 1932-6203
Related URLs:
Copyright Information: Copyright: © 2022 Rowley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Date Deposited: 21 Sep 2022 07:42
FoR Codes: 31 BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES > 3103 Ecology > 310305 Marine and estuarine ecology (incl. marine ichthyology) @ 100%
Downloads: Total: 615
Last 12 Months: 100
More Statistics

Actions (Repository Staff Only)

Item Control Page Item Control Page