New and noteworthy plant records from Palau: an annotated checklist

Costion, Craig M. (2009) New and noteworthy plant records from Palau: an annotated checklist. Micronesica, 41 (1). pp. 1-18.

[img]
Preview
PDF (Published Version) - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

Download (215kB) | Preview
View at Publisher Website: http://uogedu.siteprotect.net/up/microne...
 
24


Abstract

A total of 37 new or notable records of vascular plants are listed here for Palau. Most of these have not been included in previous checklists and/or floras of Palau. If so the names have been revised or new information is presented here. The majority were discovered through herbarium and database inventory and are records that have been overlooked. A few of them have been collected or published more recently which would account for their absence from any checklist. Additionally, five records are listed as doubtfully recorded or likely mistakes. Approximately 12 (32%) of the records are introduced species, or suspected to be so. The remaining 68%, approximately 25, are likely to be native species. Two of these are endemic to Palau or suspected to be so. Many of these are entirely new records for Palau. These are mostly flowering plants but also include two ferns and even one new cycad record. Some of the records require further revisions and/or collections. All known data of these records is presented to assist in this effort. Although most of the annotated specimens contain descriptive information about the habitat they were collected in, distribution data for the majority of records is not well known. Some of these new native records are likely to be uncommon or rare. Clearly this new information demonstrates the need for further floristic work and taxonomic revision in Micronesia.

Item ID: 38022
Item Type: Article (Research - C1)
ISSN: 0026-279X
Additional Information:

Micronesica is an open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles in this journal without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author; other rights are protected under a Creative Commons license. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.

Date Deposited: 20 Oct 2015 02:00
FoR Codes: 06 BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES > 0603 Evolutionary Biology > 060310 Plant Systematics and Taxonomy @ 100%
SEO Codes: 96 ENVIRONMENT > 9608 Flora, Fauna and Biodiversity > 960805 Flora, Fauna and Biodiversity at Regional or Larger Scales @ 20%
96 ENVIRONMENT > 9608 Flora, Fauna and Biodiversity > 960803 Documentation of Undescribed Flora and Fauna @ 80%
Downloads: Total: 24
Last 12 Months: 3
More Statistics

Actions (Repository Staff Only)

Item Control Page Item Control Page