Climate change and coastal zone management in Indonesia: example of adaptation at Demak Coast, Java Island, Indonesia

Pribadi, Krishna, Diposaptono, Subandono, and Agung, Firdaus (2010) Climate change and coastal zone management in Indonesia: example of adaptation at Demak Coast, Java Island, Indonesia. In: Shaw, Rajib, and Krishamurthy, R.R., (eds.) Communities and Coastal Zone Management. Research Publishing Services, Singapore, pp. 185-200.

[img] PDF (Published Version) - Published Version
Restricted to Repository staff only

View at Publisher Website:


[Extract] In the past four decades, climate related hazards such as floods, droughts, storms, landslides, and wild fires have caused major loss of human lives and livelihoods, the destruction of economic and social infrastructures as well as environmental damages. In many parts of the world, the frequencies and intensities of these hazards tend to increase (Sivakumar, 2005). Floods and windstorms accounted for 70% of total disasters and the remaining 30% of the total disasters are accounted for by droughts, landslides, forest fires, heat waves, and others. Within the period of 2003-2005 alone, there were about 1429 disaster incidences in Indonesia. About 53.3% were hydro-meteorological disasters (Annon., 2006). Of this figure, floods occur most often (34%), followed by landslides at 16%. In the future, a changing climate brought about by global warming is expected to create new patterns of risk, and higher risks generally. Sea level rise combined with extreme swells will contribute to the increase of coastal flooding as well as the submersion of many small islands in the Indonesian Archipelago. The situation is worsened by land subsidence phenomena found in many places, such as in the northern part of Java Island, where vast urbanization takes place and construction of heavy infrastructures as well as groundwater subtraction cannot be avoided. The coastal communities are suffering from sea level rise that subsequently increases the coastal erosion and inundation (Safwan Hadi, 2008).

Item ID: 28142
Item Type: Book Chapter (Non-Commercial)
ISBN: 978-981-08-2141-8
Date Deposited: 25 Jul 2013 06:31
Downloads: Total: 1
More Statistics

Actions (Repository Staff Only)

Item Control Page Item Control Page