First report of suspected ethylene glycol poisoning in 2 dogs in South Africa
Keller, N., and Goddard, A. (2005) First report of suspected ethylene glycol poisoning in 2 dogs in South Africa. Journal of the South African Veterinary Association, 76 (2). pp. 116-119.
PDF (Published Version)
Restricted to Repository staff only
Ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) toxicity is a serious emergency in both veterinary and human medicine. Ethylene glycol (E/G) is the active anti-freeze principle in radiator water additives. It is odourless, colourless and has a sweet taste. As little as 5 m or 20 m is sufficient to kill a cat or a dog, respectively. Ethylene glycol is rapidly absorbed and metabolised in the liver to oxalate, which is deposited as calcium oxalate in the kidneys causing irreversible damage. This report describes 2 dogs that were suspected to have ingested ethylene glycol. The report contains a description of the 3 stages of ethylene glycol toxicity as well as a short discussion of the treatment. Public awareness about the dangers of anti-freeze will help in limiting exposure of pets and humans to this potentially fatal toxin. Veterinarians need to be aware of anti-freeze toxicity as delayed recognition and treatment will lead to the death of the patient.
|Item Type:||Article (Refereed Research - C1)|
|Keywords:||acute renal failure; ethanol; ethylene glycol; 4-methylpyrazole|
|Date Deposited:||06 Apr 2010 01:21|
|FoR Codes:||07 AGRICULTURAL AND VETERINARY SCIENCES > 0707 Veterinary Sciences > 070706 Veterinary Medicine @ 100%|
|SEO Codes:||86 MANUFACTURING > 8609 Veterinary Pharmaceutical Products > 860902 Veterinary Diagnostics @ 100%|