The Role of Physical Processes in Mangrove Environments: manual for the preservation and utilization of mangrove ecosystems
Mazda, Yoshihiro, Wolanski, Eric, and Ridd, Peter (2007) The Role of Physical Processes in Mangrove Environments: manual for the preservation and utilization of mangrove ecosystems. Terrapub, Tokyo, Japan.
Image (GIF) (Front Cover)
- Cover Image
PDF (Front Pages)
- Supplemental Material
PDF (Back Pages)
- Supplemental Material
Being a scientific society with a vested interest in the protection and restoration of mangroves and other coastal environments, it is with great pride that The International Society for Mangrove Ecosystems (ISME) provides the foreword to this important new work. In recognising the economic and ecological importance of mangrove forests and ecosystems, we have a responsibility to provide the means to sustainably manage and protect this vital coastal resource for future generations. Edited by three outstanding mangrove experts—Prof. Y. Mazda, Dr. E. Wolanski and Dr. P.V. Ridd—this book targets members of the scientific community who are interested in the preservation and sustainable utilisation of mangrove forests. The book has set itself five principal objectives:
1) To instruct mangrove researchers and engineers in developing countries on the physical processes taking place in the mangrove environment;
2) To encourage students to undertake studies of physical processes in mangrove areas;
3) To make coastal physical researchers recognise the peculiarity of mangrove physics;
4) To show the physical mechanisms that have been solved and need to be solved; and
5) To save research time by providing ready access to scientific articles and papers that appear in diverse media in different countries.
As reliable information is fundamental to the long-term health of mangrove ecosystems, ISME believes that this book will provide and contribute to the strengthening of scientific understanding, as well as the development and exchange of essential data and information required for the conservation, restoration and management of mangrove forests. The information developed and provided in the book constitutes a vital new resource for effective decision-making and policy formulation in the sustainable management of all mangrove ecosystems.
|Item Type:||Book (Reference)|
|Date Deposited:||28 Jun 2010 05:32|
|FoR Codes:||04 EARTH SCIENCES > 0405 Oceanography > 040503 Physical Oceanography @ 100%|
|SEO Codes:||96 ENVIRONMENT > 9605 Ecosystem Assessment and Management > 960506 Ecosystem Assessment and Management of Fresh, Ground and Surface Water Environments @ 100%|
Last 12 Months: 29